Miss Fix-it

Dave has a hand-carved buffalo that he got in South Africa, the country he was born in. It didn’t fare well on the trip over and so both its horns had broken off. I really like it, for the piece itself and for the fact that it comes from the land Dave comes from but it had been bugging me since we moved in, staring at me from its place on top of the heater, begging me to fix it. So I did. Or we did to be precise, one horn each, although I’m not going to tell who did which horn. All it took was some air-drying clay I picked up from a $2 shop, some of my trusty super glue and some black nail polish. Once the painted parts lose their sheen and gather dust (an inevitable fate, I’m afraid) I’m hoping no one will notice the repair job. Or with any luck they will just assume that wild buffalo actually look like this…

Buffalo before, hornless and outcast...

This stuff is pretty cool

Buffalo after, slightly wonky but whole at last!

Advertisements

Let there be light

After seeing this project on the notmartha blog I thought it was one I should definitely try because I love candles, lamps
and lights in general. And because it looked so quick. I have a short attention span sometimes.

I had a few nice coffee jars under my sink and last night I found these solar path lights on special at the supermarket for $1 each and I couldn’t resist.

My sun jars didn’t turn out as nicely as the ones on the blog because they’re the LED lights with the bluish tinge. I would much prefer warmer
yellow globes and will keep my eyes out for some.

The first light I picked up I completely took apart, unscrewing the cover and using the screwdriver to wedge the inside away from the outside.
I was trying to remove the little solar panel from the casing so I could somehow glue that to the inside of the jar lid and then somehow attach the
battery and globe underneath. It cost me 20 minutes of my life and it didn’t work. The solar panel was well glued to the casing and one of the wires became detached. As I watched my precious dollar go down the drain it occurred to me that the circumference of the light was pretty much exactly the same as the jar lid. 1 minute later and with some super, super skin burning glue (Dave can testify to that) I had two homemade
sun jars ready to go.

There’s a lesson in there somewhere about not jumping straight into something before thinking about it carefully and I’m not surprised. I can
still hear my high school home economics teacher telling me I approached everything “like a bull at a gate”. Alas, it is true.

Anyway here are the pictures…

This is what I started with

The metal pole and the body of the light came apart really easily with one twist

I removed the plastic (which keeps the jar airtight) from the inside of the lid so that I could glue the light directly onto the glass

Super glue! This went around the top of the light...

After applying the glue to the light I placed it upside down on the upturned jar lid and let it dry for a minute

The finished product. I had to take this while there was still light because the photos didn't come out that well in the dark funnily enough.

Ok, they don't give off loads of light but they do look pretty on our front steps and will come in handy when we're unlocking the door in the dark!

%d bloggers like this: